Before you can run a data deployment, you must manually enable Gearset's data loader.
Running a data deployment in Gearset is a quick and simple process:
- Using the left-hand side menu, navigate to the Configure and Deploy page under Data deployments.
- Select the source and target orgs to be used and click Configure deployment
- You can also deploy data to and from SalesforceDX scratch orgs. To find out how to configure and create scratch orgs within Gearset see our support guide.
Gearset will now perform a Salesforce
listmetadata call to retrieve the object list from the selected source and target organizations, and display the results in a tree view.
- For each parent object in the tree you can specify the number of records to retrieve up to a maximum of 10,000.
- When a parent object is expanded, which you can do by clicking on it, Gearset checks for and lists any dependencies that are detected that can then be included within your data subset.
- Gearset will then traverse the dependency graph to determine any further indirect dependencies necessary to deploy records from the selected objects.
- Use the object filter settings to customise your data set and retrieve and deploy records by field value.
- Once the parent and child objects have been selected, click Next.
- Choose how you want to match existing records and which related objects to include and customize their field mapping for upserting, and whether you'd like the data deployment to continue if it hits an error deploying a record.
- If a deployment step fails, the remaining deployment steps will either continue to execute, ignoring the errors encountered and deploying as many of the records as possible.
- If you want the deployment to stop in the event of an execution step error, select the Stop deploying remaining records option.
- Click Pre-deployment summary to review the data to be deployed.
- Gearset will then create and list out the steps we’re about to take in your data deployment.
- You'll be able to see the object records to be deployed, the actions Gearset will take to retrieve the records, such as fetching, including, creating and upserting as well as the field count and any applied filters.
- Click on Deploy data to deploy the selected data to the target org. When the deployment is running, each stage will mark as completed and show you how many records have been processed in each step.
- If you're deploying to a production org, you'll be asked to confirm that you're happy to proceed before the deployment runs
- Once complete you'll have your subset of data available for any testing and debugging you'd like to perform on the target org.