With Gearset, comparing orgs and creating deployment packages has never been easier. But sometimes you don’t have all the changes you want to deploy ready just yet, or you want to get input from a colleague on what to include in the release. That’s where draft deployments come in.
Save as you go
With draft deployments, you can begin adding components to your deployment package, save your progress, and return to it at a later date. Drafts can be updated multiple times until you’ve added everything you want. You can even refresh your comparison to change your metadata filter part-way through.
Once you’ve got all the components you want, proceed with the deployment as usual to release your changes.
Build deployments collaboratively
Team members can use draft deployments to collaboratively build deployment packages. Once you’ve made your changes, simply save your draft.
Team members share draft deployments, so one of your team can then jump in and add their own components. When the package is complete and everyone’s work has been included, you can validate the package and deploy the release, or schedule it for automatic deployment at a later time.
How to save a draft deployment
- Run a comparison between two orgs.
- Once you’ve selected some objects, click
Save draft deployment.... Choose a
Draft name, and click
- Your selections and the comparison result will be saved in the Draft deployments page (found under
How to edit a saved draft deployment
- Go to your Draft deployments (under
- Continue building your deployment.
- To update your draft, click
Save draft deployment....
How to collaborate on a team member's draft deployment
- Go to your Draft deployments.
- You’ll be able to see the drafts for anyone in your team, who created the draft, and who made the last edit. Click
Open draftto begin editing.
- When you’re done editing, click
Save draft deployment...to save your changes.
Note: While all team members can edit a draft deployment, only the person who created it can deploy it.
How to clone a draft deployment
You can clone draft deployments to quickly reselect the same components, or to build a slightly different deployment package. (This is an Enterprise license feature.)
- Choose the source and target org for which you want to build this deployment.
Run comparison. When the comparison finishes, all the items in the draft being cloned will be preselected for you.
Filtering draft deployments by date
By default, the draft deployment history will display drafts created in the last 10 days. You can change this filter view by clicking on the date range to the right of the filter box.