Who is this course for?
If you're getting started with Gearset and want to learn the key features in a structured way, the academy is for you!
Gearset is a powerful tool to help you automate and improve all aspects of your Salesforce DevOps. From comparing orgs, to continuous integration, to data migration and backup, Gearset has you covered. With all these great features, it can be hard to know where to start! That's where this academy comes in.
How does it work?
Learn the ins and outs of Gearset one step at a time, in carefully crafted modules. Each module guides you through key features you'll need to learn to master Gearset, with step-by-step instructions for how to follow along with your own Salesforce orgs and lots of reference material for further reading.
Each module builds on the last, so we highly recommend you work through them in order.
- Gearset app fundamentals
- Mastering metadata filters
- Gearset's problem analyzers
- Change monitoring and testing automation
- Gearset and git
Setting up your Salesforce orgs for this course
To follow along with the modules, you'll need to set up a couple of new Salesforce orgs to work with. These orgs will give you a safe playground to make changes and see how they're represented in Gearset, without worrying about impacting your end users.
- You'll need to create two orgs which will be referred to throughout the course: a source org and a target org
- We recommend using free Developer Edition orgs, available from https://developer.salesforce.com/signup
- Pick usernames for each org which will let you easily identify each org as either source or target (e.g. for me I might create [email protected] and [email protected])
Setting up your Gearset account for this course
You'll also need an active Gearset account.
- If you've not used Gearset before, sign up for a free trial at https://app.gearset.com/create-account
- If you already have a Gearset account, make sure it has an active trial or active subscription
Once you've got two orgs and a Gearset account, you're ready to go.
Key Salesforce and Gearset terms
Do you know your CI from your CD? Your API from your Apex? There's a lot of terminology in the DevOps world, and sometimes it can be confusing.
To help your learning journey as you explore the Gearset app, we've created a detailed glossary of the most common and important terms. If you ever get stuck, it's a great place to look for answers.
Who to contact if you need help
With your orgs set up and your Gearset account active, you're ready to hit the first module!
If you get stuck at any point, let us know via our in-app chat and one of our team will get right back to you.